Income Assistance Provides:
- Basic on-reserve Income Assistance
- Person with Persistent Multiple Barriers (PPMB)
- Persons with Disabilities (PWD)
- Monthly Nutritional Supplement – Specific qualification requirements.
- Adult In-Home Care (income tested)
Basic Income Assistance:
Income assistance is temporary funds to assist with basic needs of food and shelter until one is able to regain financial independence.
When calling to make an appointment please keep in mind it takes 7-10 business days to process a complete application. If forms or information are missing from the file, it will delay processing.
Eligibility for Basic Income Assistance:
- Must be between the ages of 19 and 64
- Must provide proof of financial need
- Live on one of the Upper Similkameen Indian Band Reserves
- Applicant can be status or non-status, and does not need to be a band member
How to Apply for Income Assistance:
Call and make an appiontment 250.292.8733
During the COVID-19 outbreak, we will only be contacting clients through phone and email to respect the Physical Distancing required to minimize the spread.
You can pick up an application package at the Band Office. During the COVID-19 outbreak, you must call to schedule pickup of a package.
Definition of Income:
Earned income – wages, rent payments to you, fishing, carving, self-employed income
Unearned income – Employment Insurance (EI), honorariums, Workers Compensation payments, ICBC claims, Bingo or gambling winnings
Keeping Your File Open:
- Hand in a signed Renewal slip (if you have a partner – they need to sign the form too)
- Hand in a copy of your monthly active Employment Action Plan
- If you get a notice from the IA worker about missing information, ensure the information is into worker ASAP so as not to delay monthly Income Assistance cheque
- Update your worker on any changes to your situation or income
Persons with Multiple Barriers (PPMB):
- Must have an active Income Assistance file for 12 out of 15 consecutive months
- The medical condition must exist for a minimum of 2 years
- You will need to pickup the form from your Band Social Development Worker and return to him or her when completed by your doctor
- The program will pay the service charge from the doctor so please make sure their billing information is completed
- The file is reviewed every 2 years
Persons with Disabilities (PWD):
- Medical condition will exist for more than 2 years
- Your Band Social Development worker will need to request the form
When you get the form have your medical doctor fill in their section and you will need to complete your section. The program will pay the service charge from the doctor so please make sure his billing information is complete. When completed return to your BDSW for him or her to complete their section and mail out for adjudication. Watch the mail for the letter informing you of the decision.
Employable clients = Employable clients are allowed to earn $400/month without it being deducted from your support/IA.
The shelter rate is equal to off reserve income assistance rates. The payment is for actual documented costs for:
- Rent/mortgage payments
- Hydro / Utilities
- Basic telephone rental